Environment databases provide the virtual environments “where stuff happens”. They determine what actions can be performed by traffic simulation solutions, what properties sensors will be able to detect and which geo-locations of the real world your systems can be exposed to before actually getting there. On this page, we rate individual databases in terms of their fitness for different use cases.
We consider environment databases in our ratings if they provide at minimum the following features:
- 3d geometry model
- logics model
- material model
The rating criteria for Environment Databases can be found on our Rating Policies page.
Overview of Rated Environment Databases
We tested the following databases (click on name to go to the detailed rating information):
There are limits of what we can achieve and what liability we may have. Please take notice of our Disclaimer.
BME ZalaZone Proving Ground
- Homepage: https://www.automateddrive.bme.hu/…
- Version: 0.2
- Reviewed: May 01, 2021
- Reviewer: Marius
- Product package
- Installation and live experience
- Open source model, free-of-charge
- Data sets for the most relevant standards available
- Additional data sets for relevant simulation applications available
- Documentation per data set; includes information about accuracy, limitations etc.
- Model contains areas for handling and ADAS/AD testing
- Material model not clear; seems to be based on textures only and seems not to cover the whole spectrum
- Road surface data (i.e. OpenCRG) missing
- Each model seems to have some (well documented) known issues or limitations
- Surroundings and/or ground besides the roads not included in each model
- Documentation is quite fragmented; a summary document (PDF) would be a good idea
The model may be used from the very beginning of system development in SiL/MiL environments up to the real-world testing on the actual proving ground in ViL environments. The use cases DiL and HiL may also be covered, so that the whole V-Cycle of system development seems to benefit from this database.
A complete 3d model including details of surface elevation as well as other infrastructure would be a nice extension in a future version. From the documentation, it is good to see that the model is being maintained.
Be the first to leave a review.
This review has no replies yet.
Missing a Product?
Please let us know if you are interested in having us review a specific product. Provided it fits our scope and in case it’s a free and open source product, things will be easy and we will be happy to execute your request asap. For products outside our scope we might need to discuss the relevance with you first. For fully commercial products we might need to contact the vendor and clarify access to further information, an evaluation copy etc. But we’ll happy to do this – it’s our task and “mission”.